Login

ISST August 2018 Board Minutes

07 Sep 2017 9:18 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

ISST Board Meeting, Monday 7th August 2017 online at 13h00 (1:00pm) UTC

Final August 30, 2017

In attendance- Dave Edwards, Chris Hayes, Joan Farrell, Eckhard Roediger, Travis Atkinson.

Apologies- Remco Van Der Wijngaart, Paul Kasyanik

  • 1)    Approval of minutes:  The minutes of the July meeting were approved.
  • 2)    Amsterdam 2018 ISST Preparation
  • ·      The board reviewed the timetable provided my Remco and Joan noted that the call for pre-conference workshops by the T & C Co-ordinator should be added to the schedule.  The timetable was approved as follows:  July and August:  1) Securing the keynote speakers, contracts need to be signed by the end of August -> Paul and Remco.  2) Development of congress website so it will be ready to be launched at the beginning of September -> Travis.  September: 1) Launching website, advertising the conference in magazines, at other conferences and to various organisations -> Travis.  2) Call for proposals for workshops and panels for main conference -> Paul; Call for Pre-conference Workshop proposals -> Joan.  December: Selecting workshops and symposia so that the congress program will be ready at the end of January -> Paul and Joan.  January: Start of registration- > Remco
  • ·      Travis has developed a completely new ISST app which will serve as a good organization and marketing tool for the Amsterdam conference.  The Board thanked him for his good work on this.
  • ·      Remco indicated he was in the process of preparing a “Conference Script” (i.e. a template summarizing the main tasks and who is responsible for each task). The aim is to draw on experience of previous conferences and to develop something that will also be useful to organisers of future conferences. Joan offered to contribute to this from her considerable experience from her involvement in past conferences and she will contact Remco, offering to do so.
  • ·      Concern was expressed that the Keynote presenters had not yet been finalized. A total of 6 keynotes would be required (2 external to the ISST, and 4 internal). Two external speakers had been budgeted for. Emily Holmes is not available. Professor Kim Felmingham (Australia) is available and willing to present but has not yet been approached. Les Greenburg and Nim Tottenham have been contacted, but no response had been received at the time of the meeting.  Four internal ISST keynotes were confirmed:  Joan Farrell and Ida Shaw, Anoud Arntz, Dave Edwards and Jeff Young.
  • ·      It was agreed that the Gala Dinner should be held on the last day (the Saturday) rather than a Friday as previously suggested.

Action- Paul to liaise with Remco about securing keynotes and to keep Board members updated. Remco to inform local organizing committee about date of Gala Dinner

  • 3)    Amsterdam 2018 Financial Issues and Budget Proposal
  • ·      Eckhart summarized the budget. The final estimate for food/ beverage, technical equipment and venue hire for the the conference was approximately €200,000.
  • ·      An on-site organizer had been proposed for around €13,000 (200 hours of work).
  • ·      It was also proposed to employ “Smart” on-site supporters to provide support to attendees and to guide the flow of the conference, for an additional €2000.
  • ·      Travis proposed that he should develop a system of registration incentives for the conference. This would be more complex than having a single “Early Bird” deadline for registration and might include such features as having a discount for the first participants to register (perhaps the first 50 or 100). He will provide a more detailed system in due course.
  • ·      Travis will design/ produce badges for participants attending the conference.
  • ·      The board agreed that conference bags, pens and notepads were not required for the conference and should be removed from the budget.
  • ·      The board acknowledged that previously Travis has contributed large amounts of time and resources to the processes involved in conference and summer school preparation. It was agreed that Travis should receive reimbursement to pay an assistant for additional work and time spent on work for the conference and he was encouraged to apply for this.
  • ·      T-shirts could be ordered when registrants sign up for the conference (rather than being purchased at the conference and having excess unsold stock).
  • ·      Honorariums- It was noted that €1500 would be paid for external speakers. It was questioned if internal ISST members needed an honorarium. The board however agreed that a €1000 figure be offered (this was consistent with previous ISST conferences).
  • ·      ISST board members are required to attend the conference and be available for a Board meeting in Amsterdam at a time to be determined.  David suggested that a 2 hour meeting should be planned for. Board members would receive reimbursement for flights and accommodation. Eckhard dropped out of the conversation at 13.30 (UTC).
  • Action- Remco to review budget in line with changes above.  Remco, Joan, Travis and Eckhard to discuss backchannel who is responsible for what tasks.
  • 4)    Election committee
  • ·      Erin Bullus Election Committee Chair raised a concern that Executive Board members were allowed information not yet publicly available to ISST membership (such as information about nominees/numbers of nominees during the nomination process). She considered this unfair and asked that the process be kept fair and transparent.
  • ·      It was noted that most board members had been unaware of nominations before the rest of the membership. It may have been the case that 1 membe may have been aware of them as a result of being involved in the administrative processes involved in organising the election.
  • ·      The Board agreed to recommend to the Election Committee that that all nominations be made public via the website as soon as they are made to prevent such a possible future conflict.

Action  -  Dave to communicate this recommendation to Erin.

  • 5)    Review of ISST committees and SIGs
  • ·      Criteria for membership of specific SIGs. It was agreed that SIGs could restrict membership under appropriate conditions.  For example, where confidential clinical material was being discussed, attendance could be restricted to members who are licensed practitioners.
  • ·      Current Concerns and Conflicts (3 C’s) Committee. This committee had not been recently active as there have been no recent situations/ cases needing to use the 3C processes. It was agreed that it would be activated as a formal committee of ISST and that the co-chairs, Poul Perris and Gerhard Zarbock be approached as to whether they would like to continue in that role.
  • ·      ISST National Branches Committee:  It was agreed that a small technical/ focus committee be headed by Dave to move the issue forward, with Travis, Remco and Eckhard as members.  The committee would consult widely with relevant stakeholders.
  • ·      Schema Therapy Development Programs Committee:  This committee will go ahead with Wendy as chair.

Action-  Dave will contact Poul and Gerhard with respect to the 3 C’s committee. Dave will work with Eckhard, Remco and Travis backchannel on a possible structure for National Societies. Joan to contact Wendy to ask her to establish the ST Development Programs Committee membership and work out terms of reference.

6)    Membership of EABCT and other International organizations

  • ·      It had been agreed by a previous Board, probably in 2014,  that ISST would seek membership of EABCT.  Joan has already taken some of the steps needed but wants to hand it over to someone who can take process forward. It was agreed that we identify someone with experience with EABCT who could do this. Joan suggested Aleksandra Yaltonskaya.
  • ·      Dave suggested that the International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy (IACP) could be also be another organization with which the ISST could benefit from reciprocal arrangements

Action- Joan to contact Alexandra Yeltonskaya to invite her to take over the process of applying for EABCT membership and, if she is willing, to brief her on it.

The next meeting of the Executive Board will take place online on September 4th 2017 at 1pm UTC.

Why Schema Therapy?

Schema therapy has been extensively researched to effectively treat a wide variety of typically treatment resistant conditions, including Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Read our summary of the latest research comparing the dramatic results of schema therapy compared to other standard models of psychotherapy.

"Be the Change You Help Create"

Whether you are a clinician, researcher, educator, or a supporter, we have a place for you in our community. Visit our "Join us" page to find out more about the many benefits ISST offers, and to apply for membership now.
JOIN US
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software