Login

Read about the ISST Executive Board 2014 - 2016, and watch a video tribute below.

President: David Edwards

Vice President: Remco van der Wijngaart

Secretary: Chris Hayes

Public Affairs: Travis Atkinson

Treasurer: Eckhard Roediger

Training & Certification Coordinator: Joan Farrell

Science & Research Coordinator: Paul Kasyanik


  • 21 Jun 2017 9:13 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

    ISST Board Meeting, Monday 1st May 2017

    In attendance: Dave Edwards, Joan Farrell, Travis Atkinson, Paul Kasyanik, Chris Hayes, Remco Van Der Wijngaart.  Apologies:  Eckhard Roediger.

    1.     The April 2017 minutes were approved by the board.

    2.     Barcelona summer school 2017: Report back by Summer School Committee on progress, including current status of contract. 

    • -       Jeff Young has confirmed that he will attend the Summer School in Barcelona
    • -        We currently have 230 people registered for the event.
    • -       The main auditorium holds 190, however previous experience suggests that not all registrants will attend all of the program.  The possibility of having an overflow room with video link was put forward.
    • -       Social activities will be available. Registrants will be instructed to sign up on the website prior to the event.
    • -       Commercial stalls-  A charge has been made for these at previous conferences.  However, it seemed likely that this was paid to the conference organizers or the venue, not to the ISST.  It was agreed that there should be a transparent process through which those who wanted to sell schema therapy related material could obtain stalls. It was noted also suggested that attention be paid to who gets the payment in negotiating the contract for future events.

    Action- Joan to discuss with Jordi to see the costs involved in setting up some tables for the event for those selling schema therapy related material.

    3.     2018 conference: Amsterdam

    • -       Remco provided a detailed report on conference location options in Amsterdam. He recommended consideration of two venues:  Passenger Terminal Amsterdam,  a modern facility, which is central and has several large hotels nearby and, Beurs van Verlage which also has much to recommend it. Further information about availability of breakout rooms and cost is needed before a final decision is made but this can be done backchannel before the next meeting.
    • -       Previous ISST conference registration fees had been significantly lower to comparable conferences and Remco recommended that we raise the registration fee to bring it in line with the cost of other similar events. The increase would be around €30 per person per day more.  This was agreed though the exact figure will be determined once the conference contract has been signed.
    • -        It was agreed that the fee should include Lunch catering at the venue.
    • -       “B countries’” would continue to have a discounted fee.
    • -       The original dates, 6/7/8 June coincide with the World Conference of Psychotherapy), also in Amsterdam and dates in May were considered. May 24/25/26 was considered but there was a concern that this would be problematic for US members as it coincides with the Memorial Day holiday (and would mean higher travel costs).  An earlier date in May will be considered and this can be discussed  backchannel and a decision made before the next meeting.
    • -       Remco has constituted a local organizing committee to assist with the planning and implementation of the conference which includes prominent members of local organizations including the Dutch ST society.

    Action- Travis and Joan to discuss with potential US attendees to determine if the Memorial Day date would be an option.

    4.     Election committee.

    No new members for the election committee have yet been nominated by board members since last meeting.

    Action:  Board members to suggest full members who are known to be responsible and well organized who could be nominated backchannel for this committee.

    5.     ISST logo agreement form

    The revised logo agreement form was approved.

    6.     National Schema Therapy Societies: 

    Joan reported that a committee was being constituted to work on this but that it had not yet met.

    Action: Joan will finalize the constitution of the committee and ensure that all countries that might want to have a national branch of ISST are represented.

    7.     Schema therapy in Iran

    Paul provided feedback from his recent training trip to Iran. Previously there had been concern that there was a competitive relationship between those Iranians working in Teheran and those in Qom.

    Paul found that the group in Tehran group were open to training and feedback and that some sort of development model  would be appropriate leading to one or more of them becoming certified and having accredited training programs.

    Mr Najmabadizade in Qom had requested a form of “status” or “permit” from the ISST.  Paul had been able to observe the therapy activities and groups in Qom and found that they were idiosyncratic integrations of various psychotherapy approaches but in no way could they be considered applications of schema therapy. Furthermore, Mr Najmabadizade is not licenced to practice psychotherapy in Iran, nor is he open to receive mentorship or training and is unwilling to self-reflect on his practice. This means that there is no question of Mr Najmabadizade being part of a ST development initiative.

    A concern was raised that Mr Najmabadizade had been part of the Ambassadors program at the Vienna conference.  In retrospect it is clear that this was not an appropriate appointment. It was agreed that criteria for appointing Ambassadors needed to be reviewed going forward.

    Action- What action going forward with respect to the development program for Teheran?  Paul to draft the letter to be sent to Mr Najmabadizade  that will be reviewed by Dave and Joan. Did we decide how we will proceed with respect to the Ambassadors program.  Is Joan going to speak to Wendy  -  or would you like Dave to?

    Next Meeting: Wednesday June 7, 2017 in Barcelona at 18h00 local time.


  • 21 Jun 2017 9:12 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

    Minutes of the ISST Board Meeting held online on Monday 3rd April 2017 at 12:30 (12:30pm) UTC

    Final: 1 May 2017

    In attendance-  Eckhard Roediger, Travis Atkinson, , Christopher Hayes, Joan Farrell, Dave Edwards, Paul Kasyanik, Remco Van Der Wijngaart

    • 1.     The March meeting minutes were confirmed by the board.
    • 2.     Reserve Funds, Audit and Election Committee

    -       Eckhard noted that every 3 years a declaration of our tax communication should be made. We have just submitted 2015 and the next one will be due after 2018.

    • -       It has been advised that reserves of around 120- 140, 000 euros can be held by the ISST as an “emergency fund,” to assist with unforeseen organisational issues. The board agreed that the excess balance of the fund be monitored in the coming months, so excess money can be utilised within the society.
    • -       A financial audit has been suggested in principle and the Board agreed that this was a good idea. This auditor needs to be proposed to the group membership. The membership will then vote on the proposed parties.
    • 3.     Election committee

    A new election committee needs to be appointed as soon as possible. It was suggested that one member (perhaps Erin) from the former committee remain and 2 others be nominated. This can be done backchannel in the coming weeks.

    Action- Board members to propose members for the election subcommittee  

    • 4.     Barcelona summer school 2017

    Initially it was expected that we would have about 180 attendees. Currently 140 people are already signed up. The first day of the Spanish certification track is undersubscribed, with only 13 registered so far. Our publicity efforts for the Spanish certification track have been dependent on local sources, and continued effort is being made to encourage more local registration. Because regular enrollment in the “Open Track” option is high, we have been able to shift our plans to accommodate the differences.

    • 4.     2018 ISST Conference Location Change

    Travis reported that almost ½ of ISST members responded to the online poll on the preferred venue for the conference. Feedback was overwhelmingly in favour of moving the event to Amsterdam.  A significant factor was the concerns regarding visas and the possibility of members being declined entry to the US because of the policies of the President. Another factor was the expected attendance.  It was anticipated that attendance in Washington might be lower than it had been in Vienna, and the Board was concerned to maintain the increase in numbers attending conferences. The board therefore agreed that the 2018 ISST conference should be moved to Amsterdam, where it was considered that an achievable attendance figure would be in excess of 800.  A formal announcement about the change of venue will be made after the expiry of the early bird discount for the ISST summer school.

    Remco noted that we could expect a significant number of members of the Dutch Schema Therapy Society to attend the conference. It was suggested that there be some liaison with the Dutch Schema Therapy Society.

    Remco reported that he has started seeking out some provisional venues that may be able to accommodate 600+ participants. The number of rooms and tracks would be required for an appropriate financial estimate. It was suggested that around 8 rooms would be needed for pre-conference workshops.

    Actions      - Remco to look at venue options and report for next meeting

    • - Travis to announce to the membership after early bird closure for the ISST Summer School

    5.     Revised case conceptualization form

    The Case Conceptualization committee, set up by Joan as T&C co-ordinator, and headed by Jeff Young, has been working on a revision of the case conceptualization (CC) form used for certification. A working version was distributed to trainers in April 2016, and feedback was received by the committee. The form was presented at a panel in Vienna, which was very well attended, and was well received.  Following that, further feedback has been received, in response to which, a final version has been prepared which is now complete, barring a few small details.  There is a CC form, and a detailed instruction guide on how to complete it. It is intended that it be used not only for all certification applications (in individual schema therapy) but also as a training tool.

    In response to a request from the CC committee, the EB approved in principle the rolling out the new CC form so that it officially replaces the old one. This will be done in consultation with Joan, as T&C co-ordinator, and supervision of the details can be delegated to her working with Dave as EB representative and member of the CC committee. The CC form will be released initially as a training tool, but can be used by those applying for certification on a voluntary basis. Joan and Dave will need to determine a date on which the new form would become a mandatory part of the certification process, perhaps from the beginning of 2018.

    The Board supported a decision taken by Joan in consultation with the T&C committee that for certification applications the CC form will also be formally rated - currently only the session recording is rated. This would require a rating scale for the CC form and the CC committee will be asked to develop this as a matter of urgency.

    • 4.     ISST logo agreement form

    Eckhard has produced a version of this which is being used on an interim basis. Once the Training Director who is applying to use the logo has completed and signed the form, s/he will send it to Angeles at the ISST office.  Angeles will check that the applicant 1) is a certified trainer, 2) has an approved training program, and 3) is a member of ISST in good standing. Then she will file the agreement.

    Travis has made suggestions for further revision and Dave and Travis will work to finalize a revision which will address the need to cover a wider range of media than the current version does.

    Action- Dave, Travis and Eckhard to make changes to agreement form

    6.     National Schema Therapy Societies

    Joan and Eckhard reported that they had not yet had time to initiate this process but would be able to take some active steps and report back to the next meeting.

    7.     Schema therapy in Iran

    Joan and Paul distributed a proposal for and ISST mentorship process to assist developmental support to developing regions such as Iran. This proposal was supported and approved by the Board. There was some concern that there was a competitive relationship between those Iranians working in Teheran and those in Qom. It was noted that Paul is travelling to Iran in the coming week to complete some certification training and he will be able to investigate the situation on the ground and provide further information about this and other aspects.

    8.     Membership categories

    At the previous meeting, questions were raised about the current membership categories and the criteria for each. Various ideas were put forward, some of the them by email, and Dave has circulated a discussion document for the consideration of the EB.  Any change in the membership categories will require a vote by the GMA.   This item to be carried forward.

    Next Meetin


  • 21 Jun 2017 9:12 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

    Minutes of the ISST Board Meeting, Monday 6th March 2016

    March 29, 2017

    In attendance- - Travis Atkinson, Dave Edwards, Joan Farrell, Chris Hayes,  Eckhard Roediger, Remco van der Wijngaart. Apologies: Paul Kasyanik.

    • 1.     Confirmation of minutes of February meeting The February 2017 minutes were approved.

    2.     ISST office and Treasurer’s report:

    Financial outlook

    • -       Eckhard noted that ISST revenue has been steadily increasing.  There is a likelihood that there will be surplus funds (the organization should not be profit making to keep our Not for Profit Organization status).
    • -       Currently there is around 100,000 euros in liquidity and this is likely to increase over time as the membership grows.
    • -       Dave pointed out that it was essential to have a reserve fund as this can serve as a “buffer” in cases where, for example, a conference or summer school is not well attended. It also means that in planning the next conference or summer school the risks involved can be absorbed and won’t threaten the financial stability of the ISST.
    • -       Eckhard agreed to look into whether there was a legal limit to the size of reserves allowed for a Not for Profit Organization.
    • -       Should we need to spend more money several options were considered including spending more on office staff either in the main office or as supporting administrative staff for EB members (see next item).

    Action- Eckhard- to discuss with tax consultant to determine the size of a suitable reserve fund.

    ISST Office Staff

    • -       It has been difficult to secure and train suitable staff to in the ISST office.  Currently there are 2 employees Angeles and Nicole (both work part time).
    • -       It was suggested that funds for office staff could be allocated to board members to support their work (in their own geographical area), rather than one single office location. For example, Joan could outsource work to individuals in her home city. This could be an initial short term solution to managing increasing clerical workloads.
    • -       Travis noted that he had been independently paying his secretary to assist in ISST duties. It was agreed that the ISST should reimburse board members for payments  made to their staff for ISST work. Of course this would need to be passed in principle with Eckhard first to ensure funds were available.
    • -       However, It was also noted that a long term solution might be a strong office located independently of who is on the EB.
    • -       Currently the office has only part time staff.  The advantages of this versus the advantages of having a full time administrative manager were discussed. The main disadvantages of having a full time manager are the cost (it could cost twice as much per hour, when compulsory fringe benefits are included) and vulnerability of the organization should this person get sick or resign.

    Gmail addresses

    The problem of attachments bouncing back when sent to gmail accounts was noted but not discussed.

    Applications for certification and program approval

    Joan has been streamlining this process to reduce the amount of work that needs to be done by the Training and Certification Co-ordinator. The system involves giving responsibility for checking applications are complete to National co-ordinators and more of the routine administrative work will be passed to the ISST office.

    Financial auditor

    Petra had recommended that an auditor be appointed to conduct a formal audit of the ISST’s finances Although this is not a legal requirement, it is  good financial practice and the Board was in support of this suggestion.

    Action- action Eckhard to speak with Petra and look at costs of such an audit.

    3.     National Schema Therapy Societies and ISST

    There are several countries where National Schema Therapy Societies have been founded or in the process of being formed. There has already been discussion of the relationship  between the ISST and the Dutch society.  More recently there has been a request from a group in Ireland who are forming a Schema Therapy Association of Ireland (STAI) and who have requested that they have the status of a regional branch of the ISST.

    • -       It was agreed that this seems a good arrangement but that it would require a statute change.  We could look at other international societies and now they make provision for regional branches.
    • -       Formal agreements are being considered for “double memberships” between the ISST and national schema therapy societies where members of national societies would pay a reduced fee to ISST.
    • -       The details and issues with respect to national societies vary from country to country.  The situation of the STAI is very straightforward but for other countries there are more complex issues.  It was therefore agreed to establish a work group to investigate this thoroughly and to come up with specific suggestions. Eckhard, Joan and Remco all agreed to serve and it was recommended that Cathy Flanagan from the STAI be invited to join.  Representatives from other countries would also need to be invited and it was recommended that Alessandro Carmelita be included to represent Italy. Eckhard and Joan agreed to co-chair the work group.

    Action- Eckhard and Joan to set up workgroup and report back to the board.

    • 4.     Barcelona summer school 2017:

    -        There are currently 95 people registered to the summer school, but there continues to be a low level of registration from local Spanish participants.  The local organizer Jordi however has noted that he is not concerned about the local attendance and he believes that there will be significantly more registrations in the coming weeks. Travis is continuing to promote the event, with promotional material being in both Spanish and English.

    -        There remains no signed contract for the venue.

    • 5.     Washington conference:

    Wendy Behary has recently sent a voice memo to board members updating the current planning for the proposed Washington DC 2018 circumstances. There is currently however ongoing concern regarding how US political circumstances and visa and travel restrictions may effect conference attendance. The EB is increasingly favoring Amsterdam as an alternative option for the 2018 event, however there are also concerns about the political impact of the impending  Dutch elections (on March 15).

    • -        It was agreed to wait for the Dutch elections on March 15th and review the situation before taking the decision to switch to Amsterdam.
    • -        It was also agreed that should the decision be made to switch from Washington DC, it would be reconsidered for the ISST conference in 2020.

    6.     Status of Iranian member Javad Najmabadizade:

    Mr Javad Najmabadizade (Iran) has made contact with the ISST and has asked for some sort of “status” or “permit” from the ISST to allow for better professional practice in Iran. Mr Najmabadizade has independently created his own program and conducted treatment in Iran. He has not received formal training or supervision and has instructed his own practice and skills.

    • -        It was noted that several other individuals have established themselves in offering training/ treatment in Iran so that it is important to review the situation in the country as a whole before acting.
    • -        It was noted that the treatments being offered in Iran were mainly in Group Therapy format but included work with Couples and Children and Adolescents.  This meant that ISST training criteria in each of these areas would need to be consulted.
    • -        Concern was raised about the extent to which the schema therapy treatment being offered were up to date with current developments in schema therapy internationally..
    • -        Dave suggested the concept of an “ISST supported schema therapy development program.” This would allow the ISST to grant some form of recognition while offering to promote mentorship, training workshops and supervision within the specific country.  This could include setting criteria or time frames for specified individuals to achieve certification as trainers. It was recommended that this would not simply be grandparenting but would include some forms of quality assurance.
    • -        Joan informed the EB that we already have a “country development” process in place, which has been implemented successfully in Poland, Russia and the Ukraine. This process includes a senior trainer-supervisor being appointed to oversee the development of a training program and assisting in providing training initially by already certified trainer-supervisors. Supervision with the director of these programs was set up and followed for a 2 year period. The existing process led to successful training programs being established in Russia, Poland, the Ukraine and Serbia.
    • Action- Joan will look at this being established for Iran as it has worked well in other countries. Two groups have been identified in Iran and program development can be offered to both Dr. Askari and Mr. Najmabadizade.

    7.     Review of time limits with respect to training and certification.  (1) length of time allowed between completing workshop training and certification application (current limit is 3 years). (2) length of time allowed between training, standard certification and later application for Advanced Training. (current limit is vague).  (3) Length of time to complete the workshop phase of training (no limit has been set).

    Action: These issues will be referred to the TCAB for recommendations and forwarded to the EB for discussion and vote.

    • Items carried forward
    • 8.     Membership  categories: In the discussion of item 6 above, questions were raised about the current membership categories and the criteria for each. Various ideas were put forward, some of the them by email, and Dave circulated a discussion document. The review of membership categories will be carried forward to a future meeting.
    • 9.     ISST logo agreement form:  Dave circulated a proposed revision of the agreement form trainers sign for use of the ISST logo and Joan and Travis suggested some emendations. There was no time to discuss this.

    10.  ISST Website access to self-report scales:  Paul will report back on progress with respect to member access to the various specialized self-report scales used in schema therapy.

    11.  Lists of research articles on ISST website.  Paul will report back on the status of this.

    12.  Procedures for selecting election committee:  (Carried forward) Eckhard suggests we look at the timing of this so that it does not get to the last minute.

    • Next Meeting Scheduled for 3 April at 1pm UTC

     


  • 21 Jun 2017 9:11 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

    ISST Board Meeting, Monday 6th February 2016 at 14:00 (2pm) UTC

    In attendance- Travis Atkinson, Dave Edwards, Joan Farrell, Chris Hayes, Remco van der Wijngaart, Paul Kasyanik

    Final 6th March 2017

    1.     The January meeting minutes were approved

    2.    Barcelona summer school 2017: Status update   

    • -       The summer school program is on schedule and is now up on the ISST website.
    • -       Concern was expressed that there still appears to be no contract formalized between the conference venue and the ISST.
    • -       60 people have already registered for the summer school, but it was noted that there was low attendance for Spanish attendees. Currently there has been minimal promotion for Spanish speakers. Travis stressed the need for a translation of the website into Spanish to maximize promotion. Several ISST members have stated that they will assist with this.
    • -       Board members are requested to make their own bookings to the hotel Ayre Rosellon. Board members should keep receipts for reimbursements at a later time.
    • -       Action:  Joan to contact Eckhard to confirm contractual arrangements between the venue and the ISST for the Barcelona summer school.  Remco- to contact the Schema Dutch register to promote the summer school.
    • 3.    Time of Board meeting in Barcelona on Wednesday 7th June
    • -       It was agreed that the Executive Board meeting scheduled for Wednesday 7th June in Barcelona would take place at 6pm (18h00) and that the venue would be the Hotel Ayre Rosellon if there was a suitable space.

    Action- Joan will contact the Hotel Ayre Rosellon to find out if there is a suitable room for the meeting.

    4.    Washington conference 2018: progress update

    • -       Wendy Behary updated the Board with regards to venues in Washington DC. She has looked at several potential venues with some being more suitable than others. She noted also that she has received no response from Psychotherapy Networker or PESI from her outreach attempts. She questioned whether these agencies may be open to such partnership with the ISST.
    • -       It was suggested that around 500 participants would an ideal attendance figure based on the last conferences in Europe and the US.
    • -       Dave expressed a concern that it was being suggested that the venue would cater for a limited number of participants (as had happened in New York) which would impact on the number of attendees. He recalled that in Vienna Eckhard had noted the expanding size of the ISST conference from one year to the next and would not like to see a decision which may hinder further expansion.
    • -       Remco (in liaison with Eckhard) noted that a budget of around €50,000 would be realistic.
    • -       However, Travis noted that that he has been following online forums of event planners for upcoming conferences in the USA. Many of them are concerned about a potential drop in attendance from international travelers, especially since the introduction of the travel ban. He noted that a large survey of Europeans taken after the US election shows that 1/3 of Germans, and 1/5 of British and French are significantly less inclined to travel to the US, with women twice as resistant. The main factors are the perception of how welcoming and how safe the host city is. Travis expressed concerns that attracting a large audience may be very challenging, especially since nearly 80% of ISST stems from Europe, and the majority of the society are female. Paul mentioned that he was having difficulty getting a visa to visit the USA for a conference because he had made a recent visit to Iran.  There is therefore a growing concern that having the conference in the USA would make it difficult for some ISST members to attend.  The Board members agreed that these were serious concerns.
    • -       Consequently, it was agreed that a possible “Plan B” should be considered even at this stage.  Travis mentioned that the most popular conference venues in Europe were London, Barcelona and Amsterdam.  Amsterdam was considered a promising alternative because of its easy accessibility, the fact that it is close to home for Remco, and that is might further the rapprochement with the Dutch Schema Therapy Society.  It was pointed out that political developments in Europe were also unpredictable with right wing parties having more popular appeal than a few years ago.  The election of right wing parties to power could also impact negatively on the suitability of a venue in particular European countries.  It was decided to continue to follow and evaluate the situation for further discussion at the next Executive Board meeting.

    5.    Use of ISST recordings for personal advertising

    • -       Wendy Behary asked if she could distribute her INSPIRE 2016 keynote recording on her website.
    • -       However, Travis recommended that access to such ISST keynote recordings be retained as resources available only to active ISST members, enrolled on the website.  This provides an incentive for people to join and retain their membership.  Instead, he suggested that Wendy could use short segments of the video on her website for promotional purposes with links to the ISST site which could promote ISST member ship.
    • -       Travis’ suggestions were agreed to and it was noted that presenters did have access to the recordings of their presentations for private use (e.g. at their training workshops).   Travis also mentioned that these points were stated clearly in the contract that presenters signed when they agreed to recordings being made.

    6.     ISST symbols and logo

    ISST logo:  Dave presented a new proposal and contract for the use of the ISST logos. It was noted that in the past the logo has been used in inappropriate ways (suggesting the endorsement of the ISST).  

    Action- After a discussion of some of the issues it was agreed that Dave and Travis would review Dave’s proposal and submit a revised version to the next meeting.

    ISST symbols: Travis noted that symbols to denote levels of membership are now ready, it was agreed that such symbols would be released through the ISST Office to new and renewing members that have paid membership dues.

    7.     ISST website access to self-report scales: 

    Paul reported back on plans to have schema therapy self–report scales available on the ISST website.  He suggested that he initiate discussion on the research blog of the ISST website and via the ISST listserve to determine what measures are available and who are the owners of each measure or translation of a measure. It would also be important to ascertain whether translations of scales had been authorized by the owners of the original versions.

    • -       Once this information is available, Paul will make suggestions for the Board to consider about how information about the measures can be made available on the ISST website. 

    8.    Lists of research articles on ISST website

    There was further discussion about whether it was a viable project to keep an updated list of all the research articles available on schema therapy. Dave expressed concern that there was already a large number of articles and that more articles were appearing each year at an exponential rate.  It was noted that the previous Science and Research Co-ordinator, Eshkol Rafaeli, had decided to abandon this project because he considered it too demanding a task. Dave suggested as another option that we should offer links to existing websites that feature research on schema therapy (e.g. the Researchgate pages of researchers who publish on schema therapy).

    Action:  Paul will continue to look at the situation and report back to the next meeting.

    9.    Member satisfaction survey

    It was agreed that Chris and Travis will meet to discuss this and feedback to the next meeting.

    10. ISST office Issues:  Carried forward to next meeting.

    11.  Online general membership meeting: Carried forward to next meeting.

    12.  Procedures for selecting election committee Carried forward to next meeting.

    The next meeting will take place on Monday March 6th at 14.00 UTC.


  • 21 Jun 2017 9:10 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

    Minutes of the ISST Board Meeting held online

    on Monday 16th January 2016 at 14:00 (2pm UTC)

    2nd February, 2017

    In attendance- Dave Edwards, Remco Van der Wijngaart (first 20 minutes), Joan Farrell, Travis Atkinson,  Paul Kasyanik (late in meeting). Apologies- Eckhard Roediger, Chris Hayes.

    1.     The minutes from the December 2016 meeting were approved.

    2.     Washington conference 2018: Remco provided an update on progress with respect to venues that the local committee are looking at closely.   Recommendations for keynote speakers can be made by the S&R Coordinator, and by members of the Scientific Advisory Committee and the Executive Board.  The final decision will be made by the Board.  Dave suggested Diana Fosha for consideration.

    • 3.     Quality Assurance: It has been agreed that individual presenters at the Vienna Conference would be sent feedback and this will be referred to the Quality Assurance Committee chaired by Susanne Vind who will organize to send it out. The question of which evaluation software should be used in future was raised. It was suggested that Joan, Travis and Eckhard meet to discuss this and communicate with Susanne.
    • 4.     ISST office: 
    1. Eckhard’s report on the upgrading of procedures in the ISST office was noted.
    2. It was also noted that the process of shifting the responsibility for the membership application process from Travis to Remco is going ahead.
    3. There is a need to clarify who in the office is assigned to what tasks,
    4. With respect to conflicts that might arise between ISST office staff and Board members, it was suggested that in the first instance these should be raised directly with the staff member and then with Eckhard, but should there be no resolution the matter be brought to a meeting of the Board as the Board has the final authority with respect to the disposition of office staff.  

     

    1. ISST symbols:  It was agreed that membership "level" logos for 2017 be distributed to members upon renewal of their annual membership fee.

    Certification symbols will be sent out later once an up to date list of certification levels is available on the member database.  The ISST logo may only be used by Directors of ISST Approved Training Programs and members of the Executive Board. DE and TA will develop a simplified permission for the use.

    It needs to be clarified whether we can or would like to issue of annual certificates to certified members once they pay.

    1. Barcelona summer school 2017: Joan reported that all presenters have agreed to participate; Spanish ST co-trainers have been invited. No contract has been finalized yet, but Jordi Cid will complete one this week and send it to Eckhard as Treasurer. Travis reported that the registrations system was up and running. The issue of recording training sessions will be explored. Travis answered David's concern for clinical confidentially if we record workshops in Barcelona.  Travis proposed that only short segments of each workshop be recorded as they are being presented (30 to 60 minutes), and that he, Travis, would edit all recordings before distribution to members so that confidentiality would not be breached. Recordings would only be accessible by active members enrolled on the ISST website. A consent form is needed for presenters to sign, giving their agreement to recording. The Summer School Committee will deal with this.

    Ambassadors Program: Wendy Behary has agreed to chair this committee. Those selected will receive complimentary registration and €500  (approximately) for expenses. How many we can support will be determined by constraints of the Summer School budget. Dave proposed Ahmed Hanafy from Cairo, Egypt, for this program and the nomination was approved.

    • 7.     ISST Website access to self-report scales:  Paul raised the issues of member access to the various specialized self-report scales used in schema therapy such as the YSQ, SMI, YPI etc. Last year there were discussions about the complexities involved in making these available, and in particular within the legal framework of the USA.  It was suggested that Paul take this up with the Scientific Advisory Committee and with Joan, and that, if it seems appropriate a subcommittee could be appointed to deal with this.
    • 8.     Lists of research articles on ISST website.  Paul suggested that this be updated and asked if special software was needed. Travis gave this link to what is there at present:  http://www.schematherapysociety.org/Publications . It was noted that Eshkol, in his role as Research Co-ordinator, had indicated that these publication lists would not be maintained further.  David pointed out that with the exponential increase in publications relevant to schema therapy it would be a very laborious task to maintain such lists. He suggested that researchers connected to Universities usually have their own resources for accessing the literature.  Another way to access literature is to network with other researchers and perhaps this kind of networking can be facilitated via the website. Paul was asked to discuss this further with the Scientific Advisory Board and their recommendations can be brought to the Board in due course.

    THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE NOT DISCUSSED AND WILL BE CARRIED FORWARD TO THE NEXT MEETING:

    9.     Online general membership meeting: (Carried forward) Eckhard listed the following issues arising from te GMA for the Board’s attention:

    • #7: Review the financial guidelines about how to deal with double membership in a national ST-Society and the ISST (probably my task J)
    • #8.1: Installation of the membership board
    • #9.2: Report by Paul about the state of the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) and inform the members
    • #9.3: Report from Joan about the state of the T&C Advisory Board (TCAB).
    • #10: Find a financial auditor.
    • #11:  ISST symbols  -  see item 6 below.

    10.  Procedures for selecting election committee:  Eckhard suggests we look at the timing of this so that it does not get to the last minute.

    11.  Listserve guidelines: (Carried forward) Do we need to have more detailed guidelines for the listserve than those already in place?

    12.  Member satisfaction survey:  (Carried forward) Suggestion from Chris.

    13.  Date of next meetings:  Board meetings will normally be held on the 1st Monday of the month at 2pm (14h00) UTC.   Dates for the next few meetings were confirmed as follows:

    Monday 6th February;   

    Monday 6th March;

    Monday 3rd April;

    Monday 1st May (Workers’ day in many countries: is this a problem?);

    Wednesday 7th June:  Meeting to be held in Barcelona in late afternoon.  What about 5pm (17h00) Barcelona time?

     


  • 21 Jun 2017 9:07 PM | Chris Hayes (Administrator)

    Minutes of the ISST Board Meeting held online

    on Monday 5th December 2016 at 14:00 (2pm UTC)

    Finalized 15th  January 2017

    In attendance- Dave Edwards, Remco Van der Wijngaart, Joan Farrell, Paul Kasyanik, Chris Hayes, Travis Atkinson (late in meeting). Apologies- Eckhard Roediger

    November Minutes- The minutes from the November meeting were approved. It was agreed that feedback on and amendments to the minutes would take place by email and be finalized prior to the next meeting so that approval of the minutes could normally be a brief formality.

    • 1)    Nonpayment of ISST Dues & Issues related to membership sign-up

    There continue to be ongoing issues related to outstanding payments for ISST membership dues from 2015/2016.  Joan commented that there had been some US members did not appear to have been reminded to renew their membership and that the list just circulated by Eckhard was different in some respects from the one given to the previous Board.

    It was noted that the ISST office had been understaffed and that now this had been addressed with the appointment of Nicole.  Eckhard will be asked to review procedures for membership renewals and reminders with the office staff and see if more comprehensive procedures could be put in place.

    Eckhard, who was not able to be present, subsequently clarified that, now he is no longer President, he has been giving his attention to these administrative problems and considerable progress has been made. He is currently preparing a master list with Nicole and Angeles. For each member, information will include payment status, level of certification, status as trainer or training director. The list is being stored on a new (English) HiDrive that has been purchased for this purpose and will be maintained by Nicole and Angeles. Board members will have access to it. This will be ready by the end of January and will allow for email reminders about 2017 dues to be sent out soon after. At this point a check can be made on which email addresses are not working. A second reminder will be sent out later by Travis.  The new system will also simplify the procedure for those applying for new membership and Eckhard will liaise with Remco about this, as this will now be his responsibility. Paul suggested that it might be worth investigating the possibility of incorporating a system of automatic emails sent to people who have not paid their membership dues by a certain time.

    Some members recalled that previous efforts by the Board to get administrative problems addressed or requests to the ISST office staff from Board members seem to have been blocked at the ISST office. In the past, some Board members have found the office staff unresponsive to their needs. This may fall away with the new arrangements in the office that Eckhard has been overseeing, but going forward, there need to be procedures in place for occasions when Board members need to make arrangements with office staff, especially if these are not complied with. Ultimately the office staff are responsible to the Board as a whole, rather than to the Treasurer, and procedures need to be put in place to deal with any conflicts that arise about their priorities and roles. This will need to be clarified at a future meeting. 

    It was also suggested that members should be issued with an annual membership certificate with the date range for which it was valid.  The issuing of such a certificate would be a way of confirming to members that their dues had been paid.  Eckhard was asked to look into the feasibility of this.

    Action-  Chris will email UK members who have not paid. Eckhard has already responded to the request for an update on progress with improving administrative procedures (see above) and will report further at the next meeting.

     

    • 2)    Vienna conference evaluation

    A summary of the conference evaluation has been circulated to Board members. It was suggested that it could be valuable for presenters to receive feedback on their presentations and this would be done through the Training and Certification committee.

    Action- Joan to contact the Training and Certification Committee and request feedback to be sent to such presenters.

    • 3)    Barcelona summer school 2017:

    Joan presented a proposal for the program for the Barcelona Summer School (see attached). It was noted that Jordi Cid (The local organizer) is seeking to have some presentations meet ISST certification requirements for Spanish speaking attendees. Three “masterclasses” could occur, one on each day of the school. These would meet the requirements for Spanish speaking certification credit (and would be translated into Spanish). A second track would be included to cover “advanced core skills” in schema therapy. This track will be primarily for attendees who have completed at least Standard level certification in any area of ST. This track will have simultaneous translation into Spanish. Two additional tracks will cover the specialty areas of ST: Group, Child-Adolescent and Couples, Research in Clinical Settings, Forensic ST and the required Supervision Skills Training Workshop, which is required to become a ST Trainer-Supervisor for those who began training in 2014. A final track would be for “specialist” areas (such as child-adolescent/ group etc.).

    Joan presented a proposed budget (the see budget proposal attached). It was noted that Jordi has proposed that Spanish speakers could have a reduced conference fee and not have lunch included and that further cost savings for translation might be achieved.

    The proposal was approved in principle and the Board expressed thanks to Joan, Paul and Jordi and all those who had contributed to this planning.

    Action- Joan will go ahead and invite the presenters and liaise with Jordi over signing the contract for venue hire.

     

     

    • 4)    Scientific Advisory Committee:

    Paul announced that the following members had agreed to serve on the Scientific Advisory Committee; Arnoud Arntz, Eshkol Rafaeli, Chris Lee, Marleen Rijkeboer, Eva Fassbinder.  These members were formally approved.

    • 5)    ISST symbols

    It was noted that the symbol program is ready now ready for release to members. However, it was suggested that the symbols be made available to members in conjunction with the call for 2017 dues.  Eckhard reported that the new administrative program will allow the appropriate symbols to be linked to each member’s name on the list and be displayed.

    Dave observed that the contract that members sign to allow them to use the symbols seems to be unnecessarily complex and impractical and it was agreed that it should be reviewed.

    Action-  Eckhard will attend to the practical aspects of providing members with their symbols as part of the 2017 dues process. Dave to liaise with Travis regarding a revision of the contract.

     

    6) ISST Washington conference 2018

    Remco has contacted the local organizing committee (led by Wendy Behary). He presented a summary of factors to be considered in choosing a date and noted that early June may be a suitable time, as it is usually not too hot then.  It was noted that in May there were several holidays and conflicting conferences. He recommended 7-9th June 2018 and it was agreed that this would be the date to work with initially and to search for options for a suitable venue.

    It was also noted that several large training organizations may be willing to sponsor the event.

    Action - Remco to liaise with Wendy to check venue availability and costs for the proposed dates.

    • 6)    Online general membership meeting: Carried forward to the next meeting (as Eckhard was not in attendance).
    • 7)    Listserve guidelines: Carried forward to the next meeting
    • 8)    Member satisfaction survey: Carried forward to the next meeting

     

    Date of next meeting: Monday 16th January 2017, 2pm UTC (this will be on Fuze, Travis to send through link to board members). Following this meetings will take place at 2pm UTC on the 1st Monday of each month (where practical).


Why Schema Therapy?

Schema therapy has been extensively researched to effectively treat a wide variety of typically treatment resistant conditions, including Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Read our summary of the latest research comparing the dramatic results of schema therapy compared to other standard models of psychotherapy.

"Be the Change You Help Create"

Whether you are a clinician, researcher, educator, or a supporter, we have a place for you in our community. Visit our "Join us" page to find out more about the many benefits ISST offers, and to apply for membership now.
JOIN US
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software